Monday, May 28, 2012

Daigakuimo 大学芋 (Glazed yam) - My way

Yeah...I like my asian comfort food and desserts. My yam was sprouting beautiful purple shoots, and while I let my last yam grow, this time we didn't have time (we were moving, and I would have "killed" the shoots in the move). I got this recipe from cookingwithdog, but substituted EVERYTHING. :)

Daigakuimo - Caramel Glazed Yam

I served it on Pagnotta because I had some...normally I wouldn't carb load
this much. 
Prep time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 - 20 minutes
Serves: 3 or 4 small desserts


1 small/medium yam
1 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
white sesame seeds
sliced pagnotta (optional)

Peel and cut yam into 1 inch oblique pieces.
Soak yam pieces in water for 10 minutes. Drain lightly (keep moisture in the yam - so it may steam).

In a pan, add butter, sugar and yam pieces.
Turn burner to medium-low and cover.
When it starts to sizzle, mix the yams and sugar mixture to coat evenly.
Turn over pieces to evenly brown each side and cover, continue to steam while frying.
Continue frying, turning over pieces to brown each side evenly.
When the pieces can be easily pierced with a skewer, they are done, and you can continue to fry uncovered until the outside matches your desired crunchiness.

When done, transfer to plate.  Use slice of Pagnotta to wipe up excess caramel in pan and immediately wash pan (sugar is impossible to clean when cooled).

Serve yam on top of soaked pagnotta slice, and garnish with sesame seeds.

Eat up! Yum! :) It's heavy, full of sugars and starches and can make one gassy...so go easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment