Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lemon Dill Asparagus

Lemon Dill Asparagus

Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 10 - 20 min

1 slice lemon (about 1/2 inch sliced into 2 half-moons)
asparagus - washed, hard ends removed, leave wet
glob of butter
dried, frozen or fresh dill


Melt butter in frying pan (with lid) on medium to medium-high, when the butter starts melting, add wet asparagus (the water will steam it). Squeeze the juice of one half of the lemon slice on the asparagus, reserve the other half for garnish. Throw the squeezed lemon in the pan for more lemony flavour. Top with dried dill. Cover and steam for about 10 - 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is the brightest green you get.

Remove from heat, then serve, garnished with the other half of the lemon.

_________________________________________________________

Asparagus is totally in season. And as such, I love steaming my asparagus, but I find it takes too long with my rice cooker or baking it in the oven. I love slow cooking, but I like to do it fast, so I do a quick steam in my frying pan.

A vegetarian friend came over, and my usual quick appetizer was probably a little too meaty (with the prosciutto for her), so I thought, what do I have that is fresh? I always carry butter, I need to use my asparagus, and I always have lots of lemon. Plus I bought some dried dill for cheap at the Bulk Barn! (It's coupon season - and the buy $10 and get $3 off coupon is back!)

I plan on using this with the frozen salmon I have in the fridge. :) Yum! Butter fried salmon with lemon and dill.


Yeah! 1 pan dish, butter seasoned with lemon (I just fried the lemon slice in the butter), and fried up salmon seasoned with S&P with lemon juice). I took the lemon slice and wiped it all over the salmon. Then added the rinsed asparagus and some drained capers after salmon was just about cooked, sprinkled generously with dried dill, and topped each with a lemon slice and steamed. Dishes: minimal!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Quick easy meal. Perfect on days like today when it's too nice outside to be in the kitchen slaving away!

    ReplyDelete